Higher than expected bill?
Your natural gas charges will vary from month–to–month unless you are on our Equalized Payment Plan. Common causes or changes in natural gas consumption can depend on factors such as:
- Outside Temperature
- When wind chills are higher, your house gets cold faster and requires more energy to keep warm.
- Your Home
- If your furnace is older than 10 years, it will use a significant amount of more
gas than an energy efficient model – especially during periods of cold weather.
- Even for two identically–built houses, the occupants have different lifestyles,
appliances and energy–using (or saving) habits.
- Having more people visit or live in your house will change energy usage.
- Estimate vs. Actual Meter Read
- SaskEnergy estimates your consumption for two months and schedules an actual read
on the third month. Rural and resort customers are read annually.
- Energy use is based on your premise's specific consumption history. The next time
we read your meter, we adjust your account to reflect your actual natural gas usage.
For extreme temperature changes such as colder than normal winters, it can be difficult
to accurately estimate consumption and adjust according.
- SaskEnergy is in the process of transitioning to read natural gas meters remotely by installing Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI). AMI technology will eliminate monthly estimates and you will be billed on actual usage every month.
- Billing Period Length
- The number of days in each billing cycle can range depending on the month.
Tips to help you avoid high winter bills: