Higher than expected bill?
Your natural gas charges will vary from month–to–month unless you are on our Equalized Payment Plan. Common causes or changes in natural gas consumption can depend on factors such as:
- Outside Temperature
- When wind chills are higher, your house gets cold faster and requires more energy to keep warm.
- This winter (2017-2018) has been 7% colder than the average temperatures Saskatchewan has experienced over the past 3 years.
- Your Home
- If your furnace is older than 10 years, it will use significantly more gas than an energy efficient model – especially during periods of cold weather.
- Even for two identically–built houses, the occupants have different lifestyles,
appliances and energy–using (or saving) habits.
- Having more people visit or live in your house will change energy usage.
- The number of days in each billing cycle can range depending on the month.
- SaskEnergy has almost completed the transition to natural gas meters that are read remotely by installing Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI). AMI technology eliminates monthly estimates and you will be billed on your actual usage every month.
- The average 3.6% Rate increase that was implemented on November 1st, 2017, was more heavily weighted on the Delivery Service component of your bill rather than the Basic Monthly Charge. The Rate Review Panel determined this would result in a more equitable increase for customers.
Tips to help you avoid high winter bills: