Published Date

Exposure to the colourless, odourless gas can be deadly

As the temperature drops and furnaces fire up, Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency (SPSA), SaskPower Gas Inspections and SaskEnergy are offering tips to prevent carbon monoxide (CO) incidents. 

“Every home should have both a CO alarm and smoke alarm,” SPSA President Marlo Pritchard said. “The alarm from these devices will alert you and your loved ones, allowing you to escape the danger that’s present in your home.” 

CO, a colourless, tasteless, odourless gas, is produced when fuels such as natural gas, propane and kerosene don’t burn completely. Dangerous levels can accumulate when there isn’t proper ventilation or an adequate air supply. 

When CO is inhaled, red blood cells don't get the oxygen they need. Continued exposure to high levels of CO leads to unconsciousness, convulsions, brain damage and ultimately, death. 

If your CO detector goes off, remain calm. If anyone is experiencing flu-like symptoms, everyone should exit the house immediately and call 911. If no one is experiencing symptoms, you should shut off any gas appliances and open windows and doors to ventilate the building and call a qualified gas contractor to inspect appliances as soon as possible. 

At A Glance 

  • Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas produced when fuels burn incompletely
  • People are reminded to have working CO detectors and take steps to prevent CO incidents
  • More information can be found at 

For more information, contact:

SaskPower Media Relations
Phone: 1-306-536-2886
Kathy Goldfinch
Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency
Phone: 1-306-787-2687      
Dave Burdeniuk
Phone: 1-306-535-6569