Terms & Conditions
- Eligibility Criteria
- Program Process
- Eligible Units
- Additional Terms & Conditions
- The Commercial Space & Water Heating Rebate (the “Program”) administered by SaskEnergy Incorporated (“SaskEnergy”) is designed to stimulate investment in energy-efficient furnaces, boilers, tankless water heaters, condensing water heaters, tank water heaters, heat recovery ventilators (HRVs) and infrared tube heaters (“unit(s)”) that will reduce natural gas and/or electrical usage and associated operating costs. The Program is targeted to both commercial new construction and the commercial replacement market.
- The Program begins September 1, 2022. SaskEnergy may change or cancel the Program at any time, without notice, at its discretion.
- The Program offers a rebate payment to partially offset the higher purchase price of higher efficiency units.
- The Program is only available through participating SaskEnergy Residential and Commercial Network Members.
2. Eligibility Criteria
- A person or entity applying under the Program (the “Applicant”) must be a building developer, builder, building owner or owner's designated representative.
- The building or property where the unit is installed must be located in Saskatchewan and the unit must use natural gas.
- Unit(s) must be used for indoor space heating, domestic hot water and/or pool heating loads.
- To be eligible for equipment rebates the existing equipment being replaced must not be eligible for manufacturers’ warranty.
- Only eligible units under the Program qualify for the Program rebate (see section 4.0).
- The unit(s) must be purchased from, and installed by, a participating Network Member.
- Unit(s) must be purchased and installed on or after September 1, 2022.
- Only commercial/non-residential buildings are eligible. Examples of eligible buildings include: retail stores, municipal buildings, apartment buildings (refer to 2(i)), strip malls, dental clinics, restaurants, churches, community halls, buildings owned or operated by non-profit organizations, and non-residential farm buildings, such as barns or mechanical shops.
- Apartment buildings where multiple dwellings are served by a central heating unit are eligible under the Program. Other residential housing such as row housing, duplexes, or houses that have been converted to apartments are not eligible. Residences that have a commercial element, such as a bed and breakfast, are not eligible.
- Garage structures (urban/rural) are not eligible unless they (i) are detached; (ii) have 100% of the floor space used for commercial/non-residential use; and (iii) are metered separately/have a dedicated meter. Attached residential garages are not eligible.
- Applications must be received by SaskEnergy within 60 days of the completed installation.
- Applicants that, directly or indirectly, are operated or owned by, or receive their primary funding from, the Province of Saskatchewan or the Government of Canada are not eligible to receive rebates under the Program (e.g. hospitals, schools, government departments and ministries, Crown Corporations, RCMP, RCAF, Service Canada, etc).
- Applicants who receive a rebate through the Program agree not to apply for or receive any rebate or incentive through any other provincial energy efficiency rebate program (e.g. SaskEnergy Commercial Boiler Rebate) in relation to the same unit(s).
- Applicants must be a SaskEnergy customer.
- Applicants with an annual consumption in excess of 660,000 m3 are not eligible.
3. Program Process
Program process is as follows:
- Applicant's participating Network Member or qualified professional determines the capacity and number of units required to meet the space and water heating requirements of the building.
- Participating Network Member completes the Commercial Space & Water Heating Rebate application form. The Applicant reviews the information on the form and signs the Customer Confirmation. Participating Network Member submits signed form to SaskEnergy (at the address listed in 8.0) along with all required documentation (See Section 7.0 for required documentation) within 60 days of the completed installation.
- SaskEnergy processes the application.
- If all documents are in order and the Applicant has met all the Program requirements, SaskEnergy issues a rebate to the Applicant by applying a credit on the Applicant's valid SaskEnergy account. SaskEnergy may issue rebate cheques, in its sole discretion, where applicable. SaskEnergy sends a letter to the Applicant either indicating that the application has been approved and the rebate will be credited within 8 weeks of the date of the letter, or encloses a cheque.
- If the documents are not in order, SaskEnergy may ask for additional documentation or information.
- If the application is invalid or can otherwise not be processed, SaskEnergy will advise the Applicant.
4. Eligible Units
- All space and/or water heating units installed must use natural gas (with the exception of HRVs).
- The unit must be new. Used or rebuilt units are not eligible for a rebate.
- All units must be specifically identified on one of the eligible equipment lists on saskenergy.com. Eligible equipment lists are subject to change without notice.
- All units must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's specification and must comply with applicable laws, codes, standards and ordinances.
- Furnaces, tank water heaters and condensing water heaters must replace existing space and water heating equipment. For all other equipment, both replacement and new construction markets are eligible.
- Eligible furnaces
Furnaces must be:
- a 96.0% - 96.9% annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) natural gas furnace;
- or a 97.0%+ AFUE natural gas furnace.
- Eligible boilers
Boiler(s) must be:
- a minimum 90%+ AFUE/Thermal Efficiency in the replacement market, or
- a minimum of 95%+ AFUE/Thermal Efficiency for new construction; and
- have a maximum boiler (plant) input rating less than 400,000 BTU/hr (a boiler plant may be made up of 1 or more boilers).
- Eligible HRVs
HRV(s) must be:
- Minimum sensible heat recovery effectiveness (SRE) of 65%; and
- Have one of the following standard/performance testing documents completed: AHRI Standard 1060 (IP), ANSI/AHRI Standard 1061 (SI), ANSI/ASHRAE/IES Standard 90.1, ASHRAE Standard 84, AHRI/ARI Certification program, CAN/CSA C439-18, HVI Rated Energy Performance, ENERGY STAR® certified.
- Eligible tankless water heaters
Tankless water heater(s) must be:
- ENERGY STAR® certified.
- Eligible tank water heaters
Tankless water heater(s) must be:
- ENERGY STAR® certified.
- Eligible condensing water heaters
Condensing water heaters must be:
- ENERGY STAR® certified.
- Eligible infrared tube heaters
Infrared tube heater(s) must:
- use natural gas;
- have a minimum infrared heater input rating of 40,000 BTU/hr per unit;
- be used in an indoor space heating-application only (e.g. outdoor patio heaters are not eligible).
- Furnace rebate will be calculated as follows:
- $325 for each 96.0%-96.9% AFUE natural gas furnace.
- $650 for each 97.0%+ AFUE natural gas furnace.
- Boiler rebate will be calculated as follows:
- $10 per MBH (1000 BTU/hr) of total boiler plant input with 90%+ AFUE/Thermal Efficiency in the replacement market.
- $10 per MBH (1000 BTU/hr) of total boiler plant input with 95%+ AFUE/Thermal Efficiency for new construction.
- HRV rebate will be calculated as follows:
- $0.75/CFM for each eligible HRV (up to $5,000 per building or property).
- Tankless water heater rebate will be calculated as follows:
- $1,000 for each eligible ENERGY STAR® certified tankless water heater (replacement and new construction).
- Tank water heater rebate will be calculated as follows:
- $250 for each eligible ENERGY STAR® certified tank water heater.
- Condensing water heater rebate will be calculated as follows:
- $5 per MBH (1000 BTU/hr) for each eligible ENERGY STAR® certified condensing water heater for the replacement market to a maximum of $10,000 per building.
- Infrared tube heater rebate will be calculated as follows:
- $600 per eligible unit for units with single stage heat
- $1,000 per eligible unit for units with dual stage / modulating heat
- $1,200 per eligible unit for units with condensing heat
- Rebates cannot be assigned or transferred by the Applicant.
6. Additional Terms & Conditions
- SaskEnergy reserves the right to amend, modify or terminate the Program at any time with or without notice, and is not obligated to make any payments whatsoever.
- Program funding is limited. SaskEnergy, in its sole discretion, reserves the right at any time to limit the number of rebates, and/or the amount of a rebate, payable to an Applicant or in respect of a building.
- If SaskEnergy amends or modifies the Program after an application is received and approved by SaskEnergy, the Applicant cannot resubmit an application for the same unit under the amended or modified Program.
- Applicant acknowledges their unit(s) may use less natural gas and/or electricity and produce fewer emissions. Applicant agrees to permit SaskEnergy to view the utility bill(s) and measurement information for the building containing the new unit(s) to monitor and publicly report on changes in energy consumption as a result of the new unit(s). All information regarding energy consumption used in promotional material will be aggregated with other buildings in the Program.
- SaskEnergy reserves the right to audit and/or collect information related to the Program, which includes, but is not limited to: rebates paid through the Program; the right of a SaskEnergy representative, contractors and agents, to access the premise upon 48 hours prior notice, either before or after a rebate is paid; and the right to review the Applicant's customer billing data. SaskEnergy, or an authorized third party may contact Applicants to conduct survey(s) regarding the Program or to follow-up with the Applicant with respect to the Program and/or the units(s) installed.
- By signing this application, the Applicant consents to SaskEnergy sharing its information with other agencies such as the Technical Safety Authority of Saskatchewan in order to confirm a gas permit was issued to a licensed gas fitter for the equipment of interest in this application.
- In addition to these terms and conditions, the Program, and any rebate payments made under the Program, are subject to terms and conditions contained in the application form and related documents. In the event of a conflict, the terms and conditions stated herein will prevail.
Representation and Warranties
- Applicant represents and warrants that it complies, and will continue to comply, with the Program eligibility criteria contained herein.
- Applicant represents and warrants that all information provided in relation to the Program is complete, true and correct. Applicant agrees it will notify SaskEnergy in the event there is a material change in its application or information attached thereto.
- In the event the Applicant fails to adhere to the terms and conditions contained herein, SaskEnergy reserves the right to void the application documents and SaskEnergy will be released from any and all obligations under the Program. In the event the Applicant fails to adhere to these terms and conditions, is or becomes ineligible for any reason to receive a rebate paid to it, or receives a rebate in error, SaskEnergy reserves the right to collect any rebate paid as a debt owed to SaskEnergy.
- SaskEnergy will have no ownership interest in the unit(s).
- SaskEnergy, not being the designer, supplier or manufacturer of the unit(s), makes no representation or warranty, express or implied, as to the fitness, design or capability of the material, unit or workmanship in the unit, nor any warranty that the unit will satisfy the requirements of any law, specification, or contract.
- Applicant will be solely responsible for and shall indemnify and save harmless SaskEnergy and its subsidiaries and its respective employees, directors, agents, contractors, sub-contractors and representatives from all claims, demands, causes of action, suits, judgments and penalties whatsoever and wheresoever arising out of or in relation to the Program including, without limitation, those made or sustained in respect of property damage, personal injury (including death), infringement of copyright or trademark, builders or other liens.
- SaskEnergy does not endorse any particular manufacturer, product, system, design, supplier or installer in relation to the Program.
- SaskEnergy will not be responsible for any tax liability imposed on the Applicant as a result of payments of the rebate. For GST Registrants, rebates received by the Applicant include GST which must be remitted by the Applicant to the Receiver General of Canada.
- SaskEnergy is not responsible for lost, delayed, damaged, illegible or incomplete applications.
- The following documents must be submitted to SaskEnergy:
- Completed application form (signed by the applicant and the Network Member).
- Sales invoice that shows customer and Network Member name(s), unit/equipment make(s), model(s), and serial number(s) and date of installation.
- Copy of the boiler start-up report by the manufacturer or an authorized factory representative (if applicable).