Did you know that space heating and cooling represents almost two thirds of your energy use at home? By choosing the right thermostat you can keep your family comfortable indoors, reduce your energy use and save money.
Programmable thermostats allow you to set the daily or weekly temperature based on your schedule. You can set your thermostat to turn down at night while you’re sleeping and warm up in the morning just before you get out of bed. You can even turn it down while you're away during the day and set it to warm up before you get home.
Installing a programmable thermostat could save you up to 2% on your heating bill for every 1 degree you turn it down. For even more savings, consider programming your thermostat to 4 to 5 degrees Celsius lower while you’re sleeping or when no one is home. This small action can save you up to 8% on your annual heating costs.
A smart thermostat is a Wi-Fi enabled device that will set the indoor temperature based on your behaviors like your daily schedule and personal heating and cooling preferences. Outdoor weather conditions are a factor as well. It's all automatic with no programming required.
An ENERGY STAR® certified connected thermostat can save you at least 8% of your home’s annual energy use.
Benefits of installing a smart thermostat:
- Control your heating and cooling system through your smartphone, computer or tablet
- Adjusts to energy-saving temperatures when you're asleep or away to help you reduce your energy usage
- Some models use your phone's location to adjust the temperature when you leave or when you are about to return home
- Get the data you need to track your energy use
- Save money, keep your home comfortable and reduce your greenhouse gas emissions
Find and compare smart thermostats available in Canada using the filter available on the U.S. ENERGY STAR® website.