Buying from a third-party supplier
Gas Retailers are independent suppliers and are not affiliated with/or endorsed by SaskEnergy.
In Saskatchewan, you have the option to buy natural gas from an authorized Gas Retailer if your annual consumption is less than 660,000 m3. Similar to any purchase decision, it’s important to educate yourself on whether you are dealing with a reputable company and to understand the contract you are signing. SaskEnergy can’t provide advice, recommendations, or guarantees related to a supply contract, credit worthiness, or business practices of a Gas Retailer.
SaskEnergy purchases natural gas on the open market and provides it to our customers without any markup. We also file rate change applications to the Saskatchewan Rate Review Panel for independent review. Gas Retailers may or may not be able to supply natural gas at a lower commodity rate and are not required to complete a third-party review of their proposed rates. However, they may be able to offer fixed-rate, multi-year contracts.
Steps to Buying Gas from a Retailer
- The Gas Retailer will negotiate a commodity rate and term with you.
- Based on your agreement, you will sign a legal binding commodity sales contract between yourself and the Gas Retailer.
- You will sign a Disclosure Statement and Appointment of Agent Form authorizing the Gas Retailer to act as your agent and to allow the exchange of your SaskEnergy account information.
- The Gas Retailer will notify SaskEnergy of the agreed upon rate and term. We’ll send you a notice to confirm the requested changes to your account.
- You will continue to receive a SaskEnergy bill including the delivery and service charges as well as the Gas Retailer commodity rate.
September 15th: If you are signing up, renewing, or switching suppliers, SaskEnergy requires notification from the Gas Retailer by September 15th for service to begin on November 1st.
10 Business Days: Upon your enrollment with a Gas Retailer, SaskEnergy will send a confirmation letter to you. If you change your mind and want to purchase gas from SaskEnergy, you must notify the Gas Retailer within 10 business days, in writing, to advise them you are cancelling the contract.
Fees: If you choose to return to SaskEnergy prior to the end of your contract, cancel the contract without sufficient notice, or the Gas Retailer is no longer able to supply you with natural gas, multiple fees may apply including a Short Notice Return Charge from SaskEnergy and/or early exit fees from the Gas Retailer.
- Contracts can range from a minimum of 1 year to a maximum of 5 years.
- SaskEnergy can’t provide advice, recommendations, or guarantees related to a supply contract with a Gas Retailer.
- Any rebate or incentive offered by a Gas Retailer is not part of a SaskEnergy or government program.
- Once you sign a contract, you will need to ensure the correct rate is on your bill.
- Contracts are specific to a service address. If you move, you may or may not be able to transfer your contract to the new service address.
- If you choose not to renew a contract when it expires, SaskEnergy will supply you with natural gas at the posted rate.
- Read the terms and conditions of the Gas Retailer agreement thoroughly. It is important to understand the options or applicable fees if you decide to discontinue the contract before the end of the agreed upon term.
Billing and Service
- SaskEnergy will deliver the natural gas supply through our distribution system and to the meter.
- Regardless of who supplies the gas, SaskEnergy will continue to issue a monthly bill, collect meter reads, maintain our system and respond to safety related calls.
- The option to sign up for Pre-authorized Payments or the Equalized Payment Plan is available.
- A gas consumption charge and the name of the Gas Retailer will appear on your bill. You are responsible for confirming the rate is correct and to notify the Gas Retailer if there’s an issue.
Who to Contact
The Code of Conduct for Gas Retailers requires written contractual terms that are clear, complete, accurate and understandable.
- For questions about a contracted gas consumption charge, contact the Gas Retailer indicated on your SaskEnergy bill.
- For general questions related to delivery and service charges, payments, or collections contact us.
Authorized Gas Retailers
Connect Energy Partnership
Suite 201, 203 Stonebridge Boulevard
Saskatoon, SK S7T 0G3
Direct Energy Marketing Limited
o/a Direct Energy Business
501 – 525 8th Avenue SW
Calgary AB T3A 4V1
Future Now Energy
3443 McClocklin Road
Saskatoon, SK S7R 0C2
Hudson Energy Canada Corp.
Commercial Client Services
Suite 200, 6345 Dixie Road
Mississauga, ON L5T 2E6
Suite 200, 6345 Dixie Road
Mississauga, ON L5T 2E6
101 Main Street Box 398
Balcarres, SK S0G 0C0
Twin Eagle Resource Management Canada, LLC
Suite 1750 - 111 5th Ave. S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 3Y6
Phone (local): 1-306-585-6036
SaskEnergy does not provide legal advice related to Gas Retailers and any information we provide should not be used in the interpretation of a contract. In the event of a conflict, SaskEnergy’s Terms and Conditions of Service Schedule, Code of Conduct, and your agreement(s) with your Gas Retailer shall govern. For definitive answers, you should consult independent legal counsel. SaskEnergy can accept no responsibility for errors or omissions, and expressly disclaims any such responsibility.