SaskEnergy’s natural gas equipment is designed to operate safely in Saskatchewan’s temperatures. However, heavy snow, ice buildup, or unsafe snow removal can damage our facilities and increase the risk of a gas leak or disruption to service.
To ensure the natural gas equipment remains operating when you need it the most, we recommend the following:
- Keep the meter, regulator and shut-off valve free of snow and ice.
- Do not use a snow plow or snow blower near the meter or riser.
- Avoiding pushing or piling the snow around the meter, riser or exterior equipment vents.
- Watch for melting snow from rooftops or leaky eavestroughs to avoid ice formation on the meter.
- Keep exterior appliance vents free of snow, frost and ice blockages to prevent equipment malfunction or dangerous situations such as carbon monoxide buildup.
- Ensure the path is clear up to and around the meter so our Field Technicians can access facilities for servicing or in an emergency.
How to Clean the Meter
✔ Remove any snow by hand or use a soft-bristle broom
✖ Do not use a sharp instrument to scrape or chip off the ice or snow
✖ Do not hit or kick the meter to break the ice
✖ Do not use de-icer or hot water
If you have questions about how to clean the meter or cannot remove the ice yourself, contact us at 1-888-700-0427.